For years now I’ve been crafting the gifts I give. Whether it be for Christmas, a birthday, a baby shower or which ever other occasion, I have fun trying to find something that I will have fun making and that the person receiving will enjoy having.
This year, for Mother’s Day, I went all out and dove into the world of DIY skin care products. With my sister’s and sister-in-law’s help, we crafted a multitude of creams and lotions for our mothers.
Below, are pictures of our creations. If you want to know how to make a certain product, you need only click on the image and follow the link in the description section. Below the pictures, you will find more information on each individual product.
- Homemade Hand and Body Cream: We made this for my mother-in-law who has fibromyalgia. We used lavender, German chamomile sweet orange and lemongrass. The mix of essential oils are meant to be good for the challenges she faces. For instance, lavender is great for pain relief, stress/anxiety, peaceful sleep, for a feeling of harmony & safety and for headaches. German chamomile, is also good for pain relief. Sweet orange works to help with stress/anxiety and lemongrass helps with pain relief and increased circulation.
- Beeswax Body Butter: If you are looking for the recipe to this one, I encourage you to purchase the ebooklet that you can find on A Sonoma Garden’s blog. The author has put together five beautifully simple recipes and the ebooklet is very nice. What I will say is that I used a mix of peppermint, ylang-ylang and sweet orange in my body butter recipe.
- Easy Beeswax Lotion: This one is the very first lotion I experimented with. It has an awesome texture and smells great without adding any essential oils. I use this rich lotion on my son and it does wonders to his eczema (in my opinion, it works better than the store bought Aveeno lotion I’d been using with a prescription cortisone cream). I also made a batch with lavender essential oil for my grandma.
- DIY Foot Scrubs: From left to right: coconut, peppermint and sweet orange foot scrubs. For the coconut, I used coconut oil and raw plantation sugar. The peppermint is made with white sugar, avocado oil (hence the greenish color) and peppermin essential oil. The sweet orange is also made with white sugar, but I used olive oil and sweet orange essential oil.
- Honey Kissed Lip Balm: This one can also be found in the ebooklet found on the A Sonoma Garden Blog.
- Homemade Chapstick: This stuff smells awesome! If I were to redo it, however, I would probably add a tiny bit more beeswax just to make the balm a tad harder in our stuffy summer weather.
- DIY Massage Oil: The possibilities for massage oils are endless! We used sweet almond oil and ylang-ylang.
- DIY Bath Bombs: For those of you who need an English translation, see below.
- – 2 tablespoon Citric Acid
- – 2 tablespoon Corn Starch
- – 1/4 cup of Baking Soda
- – 2 tablespoon of a carrier oil (we used canola)
- – Your choice of essential oils (optional)
- – Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- – Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to obtain a paste that is thick enough to retain its form once held in your hand. Adjust the consistency by either adding more baking soda (for a thicker paste) or oil (for a thinner paste).
- – Form ping-pong sized balls with the paste (we put them in mini muffin moulds)
- – Store in airtight container and have fun in the bath!